What Should I Do After a Child Custody Violation in Jacksonville?

March 26, 2024by Adam Sacks

Child Custody Violation in Jacksonville

Child custody violations refer to any actions taken by a parent that directly violates or disregards a court’s custody order. If a parent violates a custody order, they may face legal consequences. The court takes child custody violations seriously and will strive to ensure the child’s safety and well-being.

In cases where a parent is deemed a danger to the child, the court may order supervised visitation. This means that the parent can only see the child under the supervision of a neutral third party.

Supervised visitation is put in place to protect the child from any potential harm or danger that the parent may pose. It allows for the parent-child relationship to continue while minimizing any risks to the child’s safety. Failure to comply with supervised visitation can lead to further legal repercussions for the violating parent.


Steps to Take After a Child Custody Violation in Jacksonville

When faced with a child custody violation in the city of Jacksonville, individuals may encounter a challenging situation. There are steps that can be taken to address this problem.

Document the Violation: Take detailed notes of the specific instances where the custody agreement was violated.

Maintain Open Communication: Reach out to the other parent to address the violation calmly and respectfully. Keep written records of all communication regarding the violation, as it may be useful in court proceedings.

Seek Legal Advice: Consult with a family law attorney who specializes in child custody matters. They will provide guidance on your rights, potential legal actions, and the best course of action to take in your specific circumstances.

Mediation or Negotiation: Depending on the severity of the violation, consider engaging in mediation or negotiation to resolve the issue outside of court. A neutral third party can help facilitate discussions and work towards a mutually agreeable solution.

File a Motion With the Court: If the violation persists or negotiations fail, it may be necessary to file a motion with the court to enforce the custody agreement. Your attorney can assist you in preparing the necessary legal documents and representing your interests in court.

Follow Court Orders: It is essential to strictly follow any court orders that are in place during this time. This includes adhering to visitation schedules and fulfilling your parental responsibilities as outlined in the custody agreement.


Steps to Take After a Child Custody Violation in Jacksonville


Documenting the Violation

Documenting a violation of a court order is key in establishing a solid case for enforcement. Thorough documentation ensures that all necessary evidence is gathered, organized, and presented effectively, such as:

Collect Receipts: If the violation involves financial matters, gather relevant receipts or invoices that demonstrate non-compliance with the court order’s financial obligations.

Gather Court Documents: Obtain copies of the original court order as well as any subsequent modifications or amendments. These documents serve as the foundation for proving the existence and terms of the court order.

Identify the Court Order Violation: Clearly define the specific terms of the court order that have been violated, including dates, times, and actions that constitute the violation.

Preserve Physical Evidence: If applicable, collect and securely store any physical evidence that supports the violation, such as damaged property or unsafe living conditions.

Retrieve Communication Records: Gather any written or electronic communication records that pertain to the violation. This includes emails, text messages, letters, or any other form of correspondence that proves the party’s non-compliance.

Thorough documentation will help establish a solid case for enforcement. This documentation serves as persuasive and objective proof, allowing the court to clearly understand the violation’s nature, extent, and impact.


Filing a Motion for Contempt

Filing a Motion for Contempt is a legal process commonly used in family law matters to enforce court orders. It is a way to ensure that the other party complies with the terms and conditions of a court order, such as child support or visitation rights. [1]

To begin the process of filing a Motion for Contempt, the parent needs to consult with a qualified attorney who specializes in family law. They can guide the specific requirements, deadlines, and procedures that need to be followed in your jurisdiction.

To file a Motion for Contempt, gather all necessary evidence to support your claim, including copies of the court order, any relevant communication or documentation relating to the violation, and any witnesses who can testify to the non-compliance.

Your attorney will draft the Motion for Contempt, outlining the specific violations and requesting the appropriate remedies, such as imposing fines, modifying the order, or even potentially issuing a warrant for arrest in extreme cases. This motion is then filed with the court and served to the opposing party.

The opposing party has a designated time frame to respond or contest the allegations. If they fail to respond or refute the claims, the court will proceed with a hearing where both parties can present their cases and provide evidence.

The court will decide whether the other party is in contempt of the court order and, if so, impose appropriate sanctions or remedies as deemed necessary. These can include monetary penalties, imprisonment, or modifying the existing court order.


Filing a Motion for Contempt


If you are affected by child custody violations in Jacksonville, the experienced family law attorneys at Sacks & Sacks can help you navigate the legal process and protect your rights. Contact Sacks & Sacks today.



Q. What is Considered a Child Custody Violation in Jacksonville?
A child custody violation in Jacksonville occurs when one parent does not adhere to the terms set out in the court-ordered custody arrangement. This can include failing to return the child on time, denying visitation to the other parent, or taking the child out of the designated area without permission.

Q. What Should I Do Immediately After a Child Custody Violation?
Document the violation in detail, noting dates, times, and how the custody agreement was breached. Then, attempt to communicate with the other parent to resolve the issue amicably.

Q. Can You Involve Law Enforcement in a Child Custody Violation?
Yes, you can involve law enforcement, especially if you believe that your child is in immediate danger. [2]



[1] Contempt Proceedings in Child Custody and Support Cases. (2023, October 18). Justia. https://www.justia.com/family/child-custody-and-support/enforcing-a-child-custody-or-support-order/contempt-proceedings/

[2] Enforcing Custody and Child Support Orders. (n.d.). https://www.custodyxchange.com/topics/custody/steps/enforce.php#jump

by Adam Sacks

Adam Sacks is lead Family Law Attorney at Law Offices of Sacks & Sacks, P.A. in Jacksonville, Florida. He has a BA in Psychology from 1994, and received his Juris Doctor Degree in 1999 from the Western Michigan University Cooley Law School.

Sacks and Sacks Law
1646 Emerson St. Suite B Jacksonville, FL 32207

Follow us:


Law Offices of Sacks & Sacks, P.A.

Copyright © Sacks & Sacks Law 2024
Powered by LawSmiths